Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mothering Monday

Co-Sleeping....

I was never one of those moms who wanted to co-sleep. I was to afraid of SIDS (like fanatically afraid, and now consider myself a SIDS expert), but my daughter had other plans for us. So from ages 5 months to 11 months she slept in-between my husband and I every night and every morning from her first feeding until the alarm went off.

When Grace was around 16 months old, I noticed that she wasn't like the other kids her age and one day she woke up and stopped wanting to snuggle with us. When she was 2 and had to move her into a big girl bed, I thought surly when she transitioned from a crib to a big girl bed she will want either her father or I to sleep with her. Again I was wrong, as soon as we were done reading her books at night, she would scream at us to get out of her bed. 

I'm sure her behaviors has always been sensory related, and so I've had to accept the fact that I am helping her by respecting her feelings, even though at the end of a hard day with lots of meltdowns all I really want to do is snuggle up next to her and watch her finally be content with her world.

So to my surprise three weeks ago in the wee hours of the morning, my Grace (along with princess castles, My Little Ponies, princesses, and whatever else she decided to sleep with that night) started climbing inside my bed next to me and sleeping with both Matt and I until Phin decides it's time for us to wake up. I do find that it's kind of uncomfortable and I have had to kick my husband out of bed a few times (he didn't mind, that's how great he is), that I haven't had a solid night sleep since she started,  and I'm worried that something is bothering her and she can't express it. Whatever the case may be, I love snuggling up next to her (ponies and all) knowing this is a brief moment in time, and at any moment it can stop as soon as it began. In the meantime I will try to get all my snuggles in and enjoy every second of it!

Now when my Phin starts joining us it will be officially time to buy a bigger bed!

Grace Sleeping In Her Cinderella Costume 
Setting Up Her Ponies For Their Morning Construction Job


Choose Joy!
Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. I love having my little guy in bed with us. He goes to sleep on his mattress next to our bed. Later, when we go to bed, he wakes up, and I bring him in the middle. He is now 17 months and has been in our bed since the start. Some people might think it is weird, but I just love it.

    Like you said, I want to enjoy it while it lasts because it won't last forever, and I know I will miss it when it's gone. I know later I won't regret having him sleep with us. If anything, I would regret missing out on it because I thought he should be in his own bed.

    ReplyDelete